Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Favorite Time of Day

My favorite time of day is morning. Frank thinks coffee tastes better when I make it and I think it tastes better when he makes it, so I make a pot for him and he makes a pot for me (decaf). Problem solved. They should all be that easy.

So we've been sitting in the living room to drink our coffee, Frank where he can read the newspaper by the light coming through the window, and I where I can play scrabble to wake up my brain cells, or read a book if I'm into a good one. Or sometimes we actually talk. My favorite talks are philosophical.

We're between seasons right now. Still using the last of the pellets in our pellet stove when it's a bit nippy indoors, but soon we'll be outdoors on the deck, beside the waterfall, watching squirrels skitter about. Well, we used to call it the deck. Since our last trip to Kauai we call it the "lanai" -- because I've decorated the area with a Hawaiian theme and we play soft, Hawaiian music through the window of my home office that opens conveniently near the glass top table where we sit and relax. It helps to keep the memories of that trip alive.

That was when Frank became SCUBA certified, and on his first ocean dive the first thing he saw was a sea turtle. We recently found a cement one that is life size (pretty darn big if you ask me), so it adds to the ambience of our back yard. We named him Tyrone. Tyrone Turtle. Closer to the waterfall is my Samantha. Samantha Seal. She's getting old, has a flipper that needs cement apoxy, but she's still sweet, with those big brown eyes of hers. Tyrone's winning feature is his cute smile.

But I digress. We also plan our day together first thing in the morning. That way I know what Frank has going on and he knows what I have going on. Over dinner we look back and laugh about how close we came - or not - in reality. Life is full of surprises.

I don't know if it was original with Depak Chopra, but he was the first one I heard say, "The past is history, the future is a mystery, but each day is a gift -- which is why it's called the present." I think that fits the bill perfectly. It's always fun to open a new day, sort through the contents, and find out what it holds for you. Sometimes when it seems drab on the outside, it gets really exciting as you dig into it. Sometimes it's the other way around. In either case, it's always nice to fall asleep looking forward to the next one life brings your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment