Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost & Found

So if there is a Blogger blogging today blogging about anything other than the series finale of Lost, (s)he should be stripped of his/her Blogger Button.

Years ago I was a Trekkie by marriage - I enjoyed Frank's enjoyment of the Star Trek. When Lost came on the scene, I became a Lostie by marriage. It was a little too frustrating for my taste, but the characters captured my interest. And last night I enjoyed Frank's enjoyment of watching the show wind down. This morning, with coffee, we watched the recorded Jimmie Kimel aftershow. In a while I'll watch the discussion of Lost on The View, while I do a couple of miles on my glider or exercycle. And that, I hope, will be that. Though I somehow doubt it.

Tonight we'll settle in (or unsettle in) for the series finale of 24 and find out how Jack Bower is going to fare, since he has (yet again) gone off the deep end. Okay, let's be honest. Jack lives in the deep end. I had been pulling for a longlasting relationship with Renee, but the writers cheated me of that ending when they killed her off. And not at all nicely. Now the most I can hope for is that he retires to enjoy a quiet and somewhat sane life with his daughter and granddaughter. Unlike Lost, there are rumors of two movies to succeed the 24 series. If true, we can at least assume that Jack Bower survives tonight.

Rob Lowe on Brothers and Sisters wasn't so lucky last week, but those "in the know" expected him to leave the show one way or another, since his contract was expiring; so his demise wasn't much of a shocker.

Now that I know from Sunday night that McDreamy and McSteamy and their respective love interests survived the shooter-gone-mad-in-the-hospital season finale of Gray's Anatomy, all that's left to find out is who our next American Idol is. I've been thinking all along Crystal, but now I'm not sure. Lee has come into his own lately, and may pull it off. I now believe he deserves it more than Crystal, but Idol, like life, isn't always fair, so we'll see.

Lest you come to the erroneous conclusion from reading this that I don't have a LIFE, rest assured I do. And a good one, at that. However, something Frank and I both enjoy is really good writing. Which can be found on TV, one just has to search for it. If one cares. Sadly, many viewers apparently don't, thus TV gets a bad rap due to so many mediocre and less-than-mediocre shows that air. There are shows that sink to a level at which I refuse to waste my time, but there are also shows that stir the imagination, ignite the emotions, and challenge the intellect. Not sure where a ripped Josh Holloway shirtless fits in, but... oh well.

Frank and I are also avid readers. We're always in the middle of at least one good book (after another), sometimes reading two or three a time. I have to be careful to pace myself, otherwise I confuse Vince Flynn's characters with Stephen White's story lines. The same is possible with TV shows. The image of Sawyer (Josh Holloway) with his shirt off sometimes blurs in my mind with the image of Casey (Casey) with his shirt off, for example. In the final scene of Lost, I caught myself searching the crowd for Kittie McMcAlister's deceased husband (Brothers and Sisters). And I can't help wondering if Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) wasn't, in a previous life, maybe on an island, a rock star. This would explain his tendency to either whisper most of his lines, or scream them.

Bottom line: Most of our shows are ending for the season, or for good, freeing us up (with summer right around the corner) to more fully enjoy the great outdoors. If you hear of any new shows on the horizon, please don't bother recommending them. We are TV-ed out. In a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment