Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Bout of Gout

If you've never had it, hope you never get it. Gout! Hurts like heck.

I had a bout of gout a year or so ago. Straight out of the blue. Suddenly one toe felt like it had been attacked by a North Korean missile. Frank found some pills for me to pop, from the health food store. I elevated my foot, and drank lots of water. Had to sleep with my foot on top of the covers, praying Frank wouldn't have a restless night. Couldn't let even the sheet touch that toe. Then it went away. The gout, not the toe.

Couple of days ago, guess what? Felt a slight twinge in the large toe of my left foot. Here and gone. Thought, "Hmmm... that was easy." Half hour later, large toe of right foot felt like it had been hit by a North Korean missile. Guess those nasty little crystals that cause all the pain took awhile to find a temporary home that suited them.

I found the health food store pills that I call Gout Out but are actually named Go-out Plex. Popped one with a big glass of water and rued the day before when I had overindulged in BBQ'ed spareribs. Drank lots of water. Propped the foot and used a cane to hobble from couch to bathroom and back again, yelping along the way. Frank googled and printed out a list of food do's and don'ts. Interestingly, corn was on both lists. Since red wine was on the do list I immediately dispatched Frank to the grocery store and was prepared to suffer through a glass or three, if that's what it took.

Few sips and the gout was gone. Had another glass, just to be sure.

Gout. Crazy stuff. Especially when I consider myself a healthy person. I visit the doctor once or twice a year, if that, and then typically for routine exams. When there are so many worse conditions that people struggle with long term, I refuse to carry on about this strange occurrence.

I consider it a reminder from my body to make healthier choices. More water, less meat. Got it. Oh yeah, and keep a bottle of red wine on hand, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment