Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Night To Remember

Last night we went to a fundraiser at Micke Grove Zoo. It was a highlight in my life for many reasons.

1) We arrived early to get a good seat, only to learn that Jennifer Lind had reserved a place for us with her family. What an honor! VIP seating! And I was right next to her mom, which was a delight in itself. It was fun to bask in the glow of maternal pride, and to hear stories of Jennifer's childhood (over a very tasty steak dinner).

2) I was not only in the presence of a legend -- Randy Sparks -- but we all had the privilege and pleasure of singing Happy Birthday to him. (How many people can say they have sung to Randy Sparks?!) He's turning 77 this week. He doesn't look it. He can still charm an audience with his wonderful wit, clever lyrics, and distinctive voice. They don't make 'em like Randy Sparks anymore. I smiled so much that this morning my cheeks hurt. Driving home last night my palms were tingling from all the clapping.

3) Jennifer was on top of her game. She sang a solo love song to her husband that made my heart skip a beat. God, I love her voice. It's like none other I've ever heard. Becky Jo has a a scene-stealing stage presence, but oh, that Jennifer. I'm not sure but there may be a halo that appears when she sings. Well, you can hear it more than see it, but there it is, perched at an interesting little angle, almost touching one cute little ear.

4) We came out on top of the bidding with one out of three items we were interested in, and won the only drawing prize I was really hoping for. All this while feeling really cool that our money was going to a worthy cause (feeding the critters at the zoo). Which brings to mind Randy's remarks about charities. He so pushed my buttons! This was the fifth year that he has performed at this particular fundraiser, and it's his policy to do so on his own terms -- that every cent go to the cause... not 90% to "administration" and 10% to help out, as is so often the case. Way to go, Randy!

I've said it before but I'm going on the record with it here and now. Jennifer Lind is going places. On a selfish note (no pun intended), when she reaches the top I'll be able to say I knew her on her way up. I hope she's aware of the Zen concept: "When you reach the top of the mountain, keep climbing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment