Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Happy This & Happy That

It all began a year or so ago when the girls -- Annabella (almost 6) and Evelyn (almost 4) came to visit and I said, "Oh, Gramma's eyes are so happy to see you!"

Then a few months back when they were getting a little loud while we were driving in the car. I said, "Girls, it makes Gramma's ears very unhappy when you are too loud." So they quieted down. Later they began to get a little snitty with each other. I said, "Oh-oh. Gramma's ears are unhappy again." So they changed their attitude. Of course it makes my ears happy when they hear the girls saying please and thank you and playing nicely with each other.

Then I told them once when we were hugging, "This makes Gramma's arms sooooo happy." Now when they see me they come running with their arms open wide, singing, "Happy arms! Happy arms!"

I tell them brushing their teeth makes their teeth happy, and of course we have to keep their hair happy too. Wearing their pink cowboy boots with the silver and stone decorations, makes for happy feet. Drinking anything out of a grown up (stem) glass makes their hands happy, and they tell me whipped cream and marshmallows make their tummies happy.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to get them to feel happy about their first swimming lesson this afternoon. They like to play in the water with an assortment of floating devices, but they do NOT like putting their faces in the water. And simply mentioning the upcoming lesson results in a heartbreaking look of sheer horror that makes me cry. So I'm not mentioning it again.

Their mother will be here soon to take them to the swim class. I'll wait, and let HER explain why they're getting in the car with their swimsuits on, and not jumping in the pool in Gramma's back yard to make all those floaty devices happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment