Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Mel Gibson Debacle

I have had it!

No, not with Mel Gibson. I've never been a huge Mel Gibson fan, so how dramatically he screws up his life is not something I'll lose sleep over.

I've had it with the media! Nothing irks me more than having my intelligence insulted, and the media gets off big time on doing exactly that.

Here are some sensible (as opposed to salacious) points I'd like to make:

1. Am I the only one who knows how easy it is to mix voices on a recording? And to "cut and paste" sound bites to make an exchange into something it wasn't? Consider this possibility:

She says (in reality): "Mel, you cut my allowance in half last month!"

He says (in reality): "You were snorting coke with the baby in your arms. You deserved it when I only gave you 10K instead of 20K for your damned incidentals."

She has this on tape. Now she doctors the tape. She says into a recorder, "You hit me in the mouth when I was holding the baby, and you broke two of my teeth." After which she splices in Mel saying, "... You deserved it!"

Now don't get me wrong. I have been the victim of spousal abuse (a zillion years ago), so this ditsy dame gets no sympathy from me. Nor does Mel. It goes without saying it's their baby I care most about. But here's the question: Is Mel an over-the-top a..h.... extraordinaire, or is he manic depressive? Which is a mental disorder. He's so text book manic depressive it screams out (no pun intended) at anyone who has ever so much as sat in on a Psychology 101 class!

Now I'm not going to try here to educate the public on manic depression,. I'm no expert. But I will say this, because it needs saying (and the media certainly isn't taking the opportunity): (1) There seems to be a direct positive correlation between manic depression and head injuries. Duh. Has not Mel-the-mess done many of his own movie stunts? (2) Remember when Mel had a cathedral built where he could worship because the mainstream Catholic environment was too "soft" for his deep devotion? Duh. Manic depressives are people who take extreme opposites to... the extreme. A private cathedral and the penchant for verbal/physical/possibly sexual abuse he demonstrates? Extreme opposites. Hello? (3) Delusions associated with narcissism are common with manic depression, often centering on, "I'm so special, so superior to others, that the rules and laws that apply to them don't apply to me!"

My point here is actually this one: If reporters actually cared about reporting in any manner that might actually serve a societal purpose, wouldn't they be looking at and talking about manic depression -- which can decimate lives and has decimated thousands of lives apart from this sad, sorry-ass celebrity couple? Fact is, reporters are not in the news business to help make this world a better place. They're in it to make their paychecks better! And the unquestioning public supports this and them.

Most reporters practically salivate when something turns to s...t and they can get to it with a microphone and a camera. And objectivity? Puleeeze. They can't even fake it. And since I'm admittedly no expert, where the h...l are all the actual psychiatric experts who could be on talk shows actually educating the public about manic depression?

That's actually why I've had it!

No comments:

Post a Comment