Sunday, June 20, 2010

Live Music Lives On

We had such a good time last night with Jennifer Lind and The Hired Guns, who were entertaining at Abundance Vineyards in Lodi! I say "with" them not "watching" or "listening" to them, because it wasn't like they were there and we were here... we were clearly all in it together. Jennifer knows how to connect with her audience, and her love of music makes it come alive.

I love, love, love her voice, and I play her CD Cowboy State of Mind endlessly in my Ranger, mostly when I'm driving to/from the ranch where my horse is boarded. Sometimes I sing some of the songs to Brandi while we're horsing around. Using the term "sing" loosely, of course. I'll have to be careful never to let her hear Jennifer, or she might cowkick me for being such a piss-poor copycat.

One of the exciting things about Jennifer (besides her exquisite talent) is that Randy Sparks is her mentor. Randy Sparks knew John Denver, and in fact gave John his last name as a replacement for Dutchendorf. Since I know Jennifer, who knows Randy, who knew John, this gives me only three degrees of separation from my all time favorite, and it's a bonus that I love Randy's music and Jennifer a lot as well. But John Denver will always hold a special place in my heart.

I saw him perform on stage three times, at different stages of his career. The last time was after he and Annie had divorced, and it was obvious that some of his spark left him when she did. But I took his death so seriously, it saddened me so deeply, that my feelings were hurt when none of my friends called to see if I was doing okay, or came over to console me. I got through it by trying to focus on all the awesome music he left behind. I never tire of it.

Life is for the living, however, and after last night we intend to go to as many Jennifer Lind performances as possible. Not much can beat live music. She'll be back at Abundance Vineyards on July 24 with her band. It's truly my idea of a good time: Wear jeans, straddle a bench at a picnic table the way you'd sit in a saddle, eat whatever food you want to bring along, buy some mighty fine wine by the glass or bottle, dance if you want to, or watch others (from age 7 to 70 last night) dance to the beat (or sort of). How can it get any better?

Prior to Abundance, Jennifer will be appearing July 17 with Randy Sparks and some of the New Christy Minstrels at Micke Grove in Lodi -- a fundraiser for the zoo. I can hardly wait! When I was recently on a committee for my 50 year high school reunion, I ended up doing the "memory book." Randy gave me permission to include part of the lyrics from a duet he and Jennifer sing. My school chums loved the great message they found on the first page of their book:

Looking back, it's been one helluva ride.
I've had my 15 minutes and God knows I've tried.
I always go the extra mile to make up for whatever I lack,
And I'm inclined to smile, looking back.

If you want to check out what all my hoopla is about, go to http://www.jenniferlind.net/ . Then if you spot me at one of her shows, mosey on over and say howdy. How will you know who I am? Look for the cowgirl who's having the most fun! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment